An air handler is used to regulate and circulate air as part of a heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning HVAC system. The unit is usually a large metal box containing a blower and heating and cooling elements. Air handlers usually connect to ductwork that distributes the conditioned air through the building and returns it to the air handler.
Air handler components:
- Filters—provide clean dust-free air to your home.
- Heating/Cooling Elements—heat exchanger coils, which vary depending on the type of air handler.
- Humidifier—helpful in reducing static electricity.
- Mixing Chamber—uses dampers to control the ratio between the return, outside, and exhaust air.
- Blower/Fan—pushes conditioned air into your ductwork.
- Controls—regulate every operating aspect of the unit.
- Vibration Isolators—reduces noise of operation.
Signs Your Air Handler Needs Repair
- Fan Unit Problems. If your air handler starts making odd noises or fails to blow any air, the main fan may need to be replaced.
- Condensate Leaks. If you notice moisture or water pooling below your air handler, a condensate leak is usually the cause. These leaks could cause water damage to your home, so have them resolved as soon as possible.
- Dirty Filters. Dirty filters can reduce your air handler’s working efficiency by as much as 50%, so it’s important to change them monthly. If you just can’t seem to keep your filters clean, have your unit checked for proper functioning.
- Contaminated Blower Compartment. A contaminated blower compartment can lead to poor indoor air quality and can create mold problems as well. The best way to avoid this issue is with seasonal maintenance.
When You Think Air Handlers, Think Alaskan!
Call Alaskan Air Conditioning and Heating right away if you notice any problems with your unit. With offices in Phoenix and Tucson, we always have someone available to meet your needs.
Why choose Alaskan Air Conditioning and Heating?
We are authorized dealers for three of the most respected manufacturers in the industry: Rheem, Carrier, and Lennox. Our decades of service and commitment to promoting the best brands let you know you’ll be happy with Alaskan.