According to the National Weather Service, “on average, extreme heat has killed more people in the last 10 years than any other weather phenomena.” The NWS encourages people to remember the acronym HEAT: Hydrate. Educate yourself. Act quickly. Take it easy.
During extreme heat conditions, you should:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Avoid wearing dark colors. Dark colors absorb the sun’s rays.
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
- Avoid overexertion outside during work or exercise, especially between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Stay in conditioned spaces whenever possible…and make sure your A/C is checked every year!
- Stay cool. Stay safe.