Are you noticing that your utility bills are higher than normal? Some of that is due to the extreme temperatures we been experiencing lately, but some of it may be due to an inefficient air conditioning system.
If you’ve noticed incremental increases in your electric bill month after month, your A/C is likely the problem. A/C systems account for about 80% of the utility costs for a home (in the summertime in AZ) so you will want to maintain your system as best you can. Those incremental increases can add up quickly.
Here’s 6 ways your cooling system is costing you more money than it should and what you can do about it:
- The A/C is not controlling humidity levels anymore. A/C systems are not only designed to control the temperature in a home, they also control the moisture. The evaporative coils of an HVAC system are the mechanism responsible for doing that. If the A/C is running but the air still feels wet, you have a problem with the coil. When a coil is worn out or not working properly, the air conditioner will run and run and run…to try to control that humidity. This costs you money. Call Alaskan Air Conditioning today for a full inspection of that system. It may be coming to its end of life.
- Again…the A/C is running constantly. If this is the case, your system is likely not cooling because of a lack of refrigerant. That’s an easy fix, given it’s not a leak. Call Alaskan Air Conditioning to check refrigerant levels and diagnose this problem that is likely costing you A LOT of money on energy usage.
- You’ve called for several repairs. Typically, in our area of Arizona and because of our extreme heat, the life span of an air conditioner is about 10 years. After that, many start to experience costly problems. These homeowners aren’t just spending money on increased utility bills due to loss of efficiency in the HVAC due ot age, they are paying for costly repairs. Call Alaskan Air Conditioning for an estimate on a high efficiency heat pump and enjoy savings, not increases, in your energy bills.
- You haven’t changed the filter in a while. This is the most common mistake that homeowners make with their HVAC systems. So simple to do, but like they say, “out of sight; out of mind.” Be sure to change your air filters at least every other month. The dusty, dirty conditions in our area of Arizona can clog a filter fast! And, when that happens, your HVAC has to work harder to cool your home and that costs you money.
- You didn’t Alaskafy! Annual maintenance checks — once in the spring and once in the fall — is the BEST way to keep an HVAC system running at full efficiency. But not just that, on maintenance check-up, this where Alaskan Air Conditioning technicians find minor issues before they become major costly repairs.
- Finally, you have duct leakage. Aeroseal is a technology that Alaskan Air Conditioning installs into the air ducts of a home to seal all of the leaks. If you have major air duct leakage, you are wasting money air conditioning the unconditioned areas of your home. Aerosealing the air ducts of a home can save you up to 30% on your utility bills and it can make a system last a long time.
If high utility bills have alarmed you this summer, have the HVAC system checked. This is likely where your problems lie. Call Alaskan Air Conditioning for quick professional sales and installation of an efficient heat pump today.